Welcome to IKGPTU
I. K. Gujral PTU formerly known as Punjab Technical University was established in the year 1997 under The Punjab Technical University Act, 1996 (Punjab Act No.1 of 1997) for the advancement of technical education and development thereof in the State of Punjab and for matters connected therewith. In pursuance of this Act, the University started its journey with 09 engineering colleges and few management colleges affiliated to it. Since then the University has come a long way and at present the University has under its administration, 186 institutes/colleges affiliated with it. University has achieved a major milestone by starting teaching and research program on its campus and becoming multi-faculty institution offering courses in Engineering, Applied Sciences, Management, Human Values and Professional Ethics.
University has taken new initiatives in technical education to provide latest trends in technology and give opportunity to students and faculty to interact with the technology leaders in the country including e-governance. It is well known that quality of education depends on the quality of teachers and research inputs. In order to provide opportunity to the faculties to improve their qualification and to introduce research activities, University has established 14 regional centers and 6 Constituent Institute at various locations in Punjab. University also forms the bridge between the students and the industry in order to help the students in job placements. Also, the University helps the industry in Research & Development through its various programes under Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
I.K. Gujral Punjab Technical University is continuously striving for the overall improvement in the quality of education and to ensure that the courses offered remain relevant to the society and useful to the students in the globalized work environment. Though knowledge and skills are the key factors in increasing the employability and competitive edge of students in the emerging global scenario, an environment of economic growth and opportunity is necessary to promote the demand for such trained and professional manpower. The University is participating actively in the process of technological growth and development in shaping human resources of the state of Punjab for economic development of the nation.
Features of I.K. Gujral Punjab Technical University
- The University has 78.16 acres of land with covered area more than 5.0 lac square feet.
- State-of-the-art laboratories and air conditioned classrooms.
- Wi-Fi campus with leased line Internet facility.
- Newly furnished hostel accommodation.
- State-of-art sports facilities.
- Modern cafeteria & central library.
- Transportation facilities.
- Academic support to approx. 1.5 lakhs (including 1,500 plus international students from 30 plus countries) students enrolled in 186 affiliated institutes/colleges.
- Short term courses in foreign language for enhancing employability of students.
- Human Values & Professional Ethics course for all students, in collaboration with NRCVEE, IIT Delhi and IIIT Hyderabad.
- Periodic restructuring and updating of the courses to match international standards in consultation with the help of Industrialists / R&D / Academia.
- Access to e-journals in different subjects.
Achievements of I.K. Gujral Punjab Technical University
- Overall ranked 3rd in State, 33rd in research and 54th among top 100 Universities of India in NIRF ranking (National Institutional Ranking Framework) by All-India Ranking 2016 conducted by Ministry of HRD.
- University has been awarded as the “Best University Promoting High Quality Research at Master’s and Doctoral Thesis Work” category in the CCI Technology Education Excellence Awards 2013. This award was instituted by a Consortium of Co-Chairpersons-Industry (CCI) of Gujarat Technological University (GTU), jointly with the Communication Multimedia and Infrastructure Association of India (CMAI).
- eINDlA 2010 Award of the Year as “ICT Enabled University of the Year” and “Open and Distance Learning Initiative of the Year Award” by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, Govt. of India.
- University provides grants for organizing FDPs/STCs/Workshops/Seminars.
- The University has various prestigious collaborations with number of national institutes like Thompson Rivers University – Canada, Indian Institute of Travel and Tourism Management-Gwalior, Sardar Swaran Singh National Institute of Renewable Energy-Kapurthala, Punjab Agricultural University – Ludhiana, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences–Faridkot.
- Best Technical University Award for the year 2013 by Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE).